Gallery‎ > ‎

Then and Now

St Patrick's Well - c1908

Glenridding and the head of Ullswater - c1940

St Patrick's Church and the Old Yew tree - c1883 

An old postcard with this photograph of St Patrick's Church was found by Fra Cooke.
The photograph must have been taken before 1883 because the ancient tree in the foreground is the venerable old Yew Tree which, despite a wall being built around the base to help preserve it, was blown down during a storm in 1883. The tree had great girth and was mentioned as a 'very fine old tree' at the time of the Norman Conquest!

Patterdale Township - c1900
This wonderful picture shows the horse drawn coach (fully loaded) approaching the narrow section of road in front of the White Lion. The village water pump can be seen on the left.

Patterdale Township - c1900

Patterdale - c1930

Goldrill Bridge, looking towards Place Fell - c ??
It looks as though this picture was taken before Goldrill Cottage was built. There is even a glimpse of Broad How on the right.
Millcrest's Hotel, Glenridding - c1930
(Now the Glenridding Hotel)

 Eagle Road, Glenridding - c1930
(Before the shops were built)

Patterdale Hall Grounds - c1930 

Greenside Road, Glenridding - c ??

 
Patterdale from across Goldrill Beck - c 1905
(Before the Post Office was built)

  Old School House - c ??

Glenridding from Glenridding Dodd - c ?? 

 Glenridding - c1930
The small wooden cabin sold cigarettes, sweets, postcards etc. It belonged to the Pool family, who owned the Beech House Tea Shop and Guest House next door. Also on the right are Bridge House and the newly name Glenridding Hotel.

 
 Mill Moss, Patterdale - 19??
The water in Mill Moss, situated behind the Patterdale Hotel, was controlled by a sluice gate. It was therefore quite shallow and perfect for ice-skating. Does anyone know when this picture was taken? Was there a mill? 
St Patrick's Well - c2010
Glenridding and the head of Ullswater - 2008

St Patrick's Church - 2010
The remains of the base where the old Yew Tree once stood can still be seen. It is hoped that a replacement Yew can be planted at some time. Apart from the Yew Tree and the clock fitted to the tower, very little has changed in the past 127 years - even the 'unofficial' footpath is still there!
 



 Patterdale Township - 2010
The most visible change is the absence of the cottage that was demolished to widen the road (although it's still pretty narrow at this point). The water pump has long gone but the alcove it was in can still be seen.

 Patterdale Township - 2010

Patterdale - 2010

 Goldrill Bridge, looking towards Place Fell - 2010
Wow... how the trees have grown! The lattice railings on the bridge are still there.


 Glenridding Hotel - 2010
 

Eagle Road, Glenridding - 2010
 

 Patterdale Hall Grounds - 2010  

 Greenside Road, Glenridding - 2010

 Patterdale from across Goldrill Beck - 2010
 

Old School House - 2010

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Glenridding - 2010
The cabin disappeared long ago - replaced with two flats. Beech House still offers B&B accomodation.