|Page Editor: Richard Theobald||Page last Reviewed: 07 Aug 2010|
The present St. Patrick’s replaced a Church built about 1600. There have been earlier places of worship in the Dale. A charter of 1348 refers to ‘the Chapel of Patricksdale’. There is a ruin of an old Chapel on Boredale Hause on the way over to Martindale.
The beautiful embroidery of the Good Shepherd on the north wall was made in 1938 by Ann Macbeth (1875-1948) who was a distinguished member of the Glasgow School and who came to live in Patterdale. Opposite the Good Shepherd hangs a printed reproduction of Ann Macbeth’s Patterdale Nativity copied from the original embroidery which belongs to Glasgow. There are two more beautiful embroideries by Ann Macbeth in the Church. A touching embroidery by Joan Drew asks God to ‘keep the mountain lands all the winter through’. Local people with the school children made the interesting banner.
The Altar at the East End of the Church
People come to the main Altar at the east end of the Church to take part in the Service of Holy Communion, which celebrates God’s love, forgiveness and hope. The Altar is magnificent — made of oak and part of the original furniture of the Victorian Church .
The Altar at the West End of the Church
This Altar came originally from the Church of St. Martin in the Fields in London . It was given to the well known sculptor, Josefina de Vasconcellos, who placed it in a Chapel, part of a house in the Duddon valley used to help young disadvantaged people. In 1970 the Altar was dedicated by the Bishop of Carlisle ‘in memory of all those who have lost their lives in air crashes on the Lakeland fells’. In the Millennium year Josefina gave the Altar to St. Patrick’s to be a place of pilgrimage for relatives and friends. The book near the Altar shows that over 500 people lost their lives in air crashes on the Lakeland fells in the 1939-45 war and afterwards. St. Patrick’s, a beautiful Church in the midst of the Lakeland fells, is a fitting place for remembrance.
Worship at St. Patrick's
St. Patrick’s is a uniting Anglican and Methodist Church , and is part of the Good Shepherd Team Ministry embracing six Parishes. The main Sunday Service is at 11.OOam. Everyone is most welcome. The Friends of St. Patrick’s put the Church at the centre of a wider community. Please join the Friends to keep in touch with St. Patrick’s.