Corporal Frank MALLINSON (4468606)
Durham Light Infantry
Born: Abt. January 1904, Hetton-le-Hole, County Durham
Died: 9 July 1945, Carlisle, Cumberland (Age 41)
Frank Mallinson was born around 1904 in Hetton-le-Hole, County Durham. He was the second son of Joseph Mallinson and his wife Isabella (nee Parslow). In 1911 the family were still living in County Durham at Fence Houses, East Rainton, where Frank was at school. Frank's father, was a Miner so he may well have brought the family to Glenridding at some point to find work at the Greenside Mine.
He married Edith Annie Bowes Spedding in Carlisle around July 1932 and on Christmas Day 1932 their first child, Joseph Norman Mallinson, was born. Their address at that time was stated as Glenridding House where Frank was working as a Waiter. Their second son, Thomas V Mallinson was born in Longtown, Cumberland which is close to where Frank is buried but this may have been a temporary relocation, as the CWGC Certificate states Edith's home as Glenridding.
We have been unable to find any details of Frank Mallinson's military service, not even the Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry in which he served - this would have at least given us a clue to his postings and any actions he may have been involved in. We do know that he died on the 9th of July 1945 in the Cummberland Infirmary, Carlisle, from a Perforated Gastric Ulcer. Curiously, his death certificate states his occupation as a Waiter again at Glenridding House.
The Medal Records for WW2 servicemen are contained within their service records, which have not been made publicly available. As we do not know the circumstances of Corporal Mallinson's death or if he served in an operational command before he died, we can only be certain that he qualified for, and would have been posthumously awarded, the following medal1:
1939-1945 British War Medal
Corporal Frank Mallinson is remembered and commemorated on:
The Patterdale War Memorial
Arthuret Churchyard, Longtown, Nr Carlisle2 (SW of Church, Middle Aisle)
The Commonwealth War Graves Commission Memorial Certificate
What became of his family?
Wife and sons
Frank's widow, Edith Mallinson, was born in Heads Nook, near Wetheral around February 1906. She died on the 25th April 1977, aged 71 years, and is buried alongside Frank in Arthuret Churchyard, Longtown, Nr Carlisle.
His son Joseph Norman Mallinson was born in Glenridding on the 25th December 1932 and married Margaret Lloyd in the Wigan area in early 1957.
His son Thomas V Mallinson was born in Longtown, Cumberland around June 1934 and married Patricia R Rimmer in Bootle towards the end of 1964.
His older brother William was born at Coal Bank, County Durham around 1900. The last record found was in the 1911 census with his family at Fence Houses, East Rainton in County Durham
His younger brother Norman was born at East Rainton, County Durham around 1907. The last record found was in the 1911 census with his family at Fence Houses, East Rainton in County Durham
His sister Margaret Ethel was born at East Rainton, County Durham around 1909. The last record found was in the 1911 census with her family at Fence Houses, East Rainton in County Durham
1939-1945 British War Medal - The War Medal 1939–1945 was a British decoration awarded to all full time service personnel of the Armed Forces wherever their service during the war was rendered. Operational and non-operational service counted provided personnel had completed 28 days service between 3rd September 1939 and the 2nd September 1945. In the Merchant Navy there was the requirement that 28 days should be served at sea.
Personnel who were eligible for a campaign star yet who had their service cut short by death, wounds or capture by the enemy, still qualified for this medal. Eligible personnel who had been mentioned in dispatches during the War were entitled to wear a bronze oak leaf emblem on the ribbon. Those War Medals issued to UK personnel were not officially inscribed. However, those issued to Australian and South African personnel were officially inscribed. It is sometimes described as the "Victory Medal" for World War II, although that is not its correct name.
2. Arthuret Churchyard
Arthuret Parish Church also known as St Michael and All Angels, dominates the hillside in the village, about half a mile from Longtown. Said to be the resting place of the legendary King Arthur, the present gothic style church was erected in 1609, during the reign of King James I. The site is known to have had a church since the 6th Century AD, often laid to ruins by the invading Scots Border Raiders. This church was built as a result of a national fund raising to benefit the parishioners, who mainly rejecting Christ’s teachings and were considered to be “without faith”. This, at this time, was the debatable lands of the Border Reiver. During construction, the custodian of the collected funds absconded with a considerable sum. With resources weakened, the tower was left unfinished and was not completed until 1690 when Dr. Todd took over rectorship of the church. The church tower stones are unusual in that many of them have masons marks which are clearly visible. The main church building consists of nave, chancel, aisles, and tower. In 1750 it was re-roofed, slated, and flagged by the Hon. Mary Graham. More Details
Page Editor: Norman Jackson
Page Last Reviewed: 25 Feb 2021