Page Editor: Norman Jackson

Page last Reviewed: 22 Feb 2021

Miscellaneous Old Photos

On this page we have created an archive of old photographs and postcards relating to Patterdale, that we have been sent. If you have any that would be of interest to others, we would be delighted to include them. Just let us know, or send us a good quality scan, either through our discussion page or by e-mail.

c1935 - This photograph shows Tom Hadwin standing proudly by the Morris V6 Car that he drove as chauffeur to John Dickinson of Rooking Ghyll. The car is parked near to Wordsworth Cottage in Rookings. The field behind is where Grey Walls now stands and further back, partly hidden by the large tree, is Fell Garth. Sadly, Tom was killed during WW2 and is commemorated on Patterdale War Memorial. You can read more about Tom on the War Memorial pages and an adventure he and his pal Walter Dry had with the car whilst trying to enlist (Wally's War).

Patterdale, Township - 1902

This lovely photograph of three young girls, presumably heading off to school, was taken in 1902 by Miss Cecily Janet Adams of Moreton House, Wolstanton, Staffs.

The girls are thought to be the three daughters of Robert Pears of Crookabeck, Lilian (5), Hilda (9) and Mary Elizabeth (12). Robert ran a coaching service.

Terrier Rescue - 193?

This photo was taken following the rescue of a Terrier that had got stuck in mine workings on High Hartsop Dodd (also known as Little Dodd). Joe Wear is holding the dog alongside his daughter Dulcie and to his left is Eddie Poole's father Johnnie. Behind them are Billy Wilkinson and Anthony Barker. It is said that they spent two weeks or more digging rock before the dog was rescued.

Ullswater pack around c1940 near the Brothers’ Water Hotel.

On the left is a visitor called Mr. Bownass, who, according to Kenneth Teasdale, was a regular Ullswater Hunt follower from the Windermere area. In the centre is Anthony Barker, the Huntsman of the Ullswater Pack who stepped in to that position when Huntsman Joe Wear was serving in the army during World War II. The children are Sydney Teasdale and Kenneth Teasdale (who were cousins). The adult standing on the extreme right is George Teasdale, Sydney’s father, who was the postman for many years in the Patterdale/ Glenridding area until the late 1950s. The picture was supplied by Shirley and Kenneth Teasdale. Kenneth was born in Patterdale and lived in Glenridding until he emigrated to Canada in 1957.

Fully loaded 'Charabancs' descending Kirkstone Pass

Goldrill House, YHA, Patterdale

Fell Pony Club Meet at Crookabeck, Patterdale Vera Charlton (Roy Charlton's Wife), with Bobbie, Mary and Astie (Astrid)

Fell Pony Club Meet near Crookabeck, Patterdale

'Hudsons' Patterdale Hotel, Ullswater - c1907

A colour tinted 'Phoenix' Series Postcard by Brittain & Wright

Posted on 10 Jul 1907

Patterdale Hotel

" Where mountains rise against the sky"

A Fine Art Postcard by Shureys

Patterdale Hotel

'View from Patterdale Hotel' (not really!)

Patterdale Village - pre 1910

Postcard by Atkinson & Pollitt of Kendal. Posted 21 Jul 1926 but image is much older, as the new Post Office (built before 1910) is not there.

Brothers' Water, Kirkstone Pass, Westmorland

A partially tinted Photogravure Reproduction. If you look closely you can just see the word 'Hotel' between the branches of the tree

Glenridding Beck and Birkhouse Moor - c1950

Judging by the model of car, this looks to be a 1950's image

Ullswater Hotel from the boat landing, Glenridding - pre 1918

'Phoenix' Series Postcard by Brittain & Wright

'Raven' Approaching Glenridding Pier




30 Jun 1926 - May Spence at High Beckside, Hartsop (the house Ann Macbeth rented from Mr Gibson)

Stybarrow Crag, Ullswater - pre 1909

Valentine's Series. Card Posted 16 May 1909

Patterdale, Ullswater

Rowing boats on the shore near The Ullswater Hotel. Milcrests Hotel is in the background.

Ullswater

A Postcard by Francis Frith & Co

Ullswater

A Davidson Bros. Colour Card

St Patrick's Church, Patterdale

After the Ancient Yew Tree had fallen but before the Clock was fitted in the Bell Tower.